Thursday, May 8, 2008

3 weeks old

Today my little man is 3 weeks old. We have come a long way from the day he was born but there still does not seem to be much progress. Even the Dr. pointed out that instead of the 2 steps forward 1 step back we have been taking 1 step forward 2 steps back. On a good note, the bleed has stopped but of course with every piece of good news there must be bad. As the Dr. put it, there was something on the ultrasound that they don't ever want to see. There has been damage from the bleed. The placement of the damage will possibly if not likely cause problems with motor skills affecting the lower extremeties such as the legs. There was no need to verbalize what that meant so we just left it at that. He is still not eating what he should be eating at 3 weeks. They are going to attempt a bottle today to see where we stand on the suck, swallow breathe technique. The decision today is to very slowly increase his feeds now instead of the rapid rate in which they were trying. They had to knock him back down to 20 CC's every 4 hours. This is a concern but we are just not sure the cause at the moment. The severity of his infection at birth and the blood pressure issues he had could have caused some digestion problems or it could be his head.

It has been a long road and the Dr. wants me to prepare myself for a long road ahead. It looks like everything we face will be a challenge. There will be many Dr. appointments and many complications ahead. I saw another baby graduate from the NICU today. Many babies have come and gone while he has been in there and it is so very hard not to be discouraged. Even Dr. Gloom is tired of the bad news. He volunteered to change shifts with the other Dr. so he wouldn't have to be the one to always deliver the bad news.

Sabrina

3 comments:

Traelee said...

I wish I could send you a big cyber hug. I'm so sorry its such a tough battle for your little guy.
I'll keep praying for Korbin and your whole family.

Anonymous said...

We continue to pray for little Korbin and your family. I know it is hard, we have had difficulties ourselves. Be strong and know he is HUGEly prayed for.

Anonymous said...

You have no idea who I am, but I know Robby. I recieved an email today asking for prayer for your little one. Those of us who have healthy babies take that for granted. I will be praying for his complete recovery and that he can grow up with the joys of a healthy child. I wish you patence, understanding, courage, and enough fight for you and him. God Bless you and your precious family!!!