Life can be so hectic sometimes. When too much is thrown at me, I get overwhelmed and not too sure which way to turn. We have been overloaded with "stuff" these last couple weeks. My oldest child is having difficulties in school so we have been trying to take care of that while still doing or day to day with Korbin. It is so hard having to make so many decisions. Which decision is right? What if I make the wrong decision? What will be the repercussions?
We had Korbin's physiatrist appointment last week and it did nothing more than solidify my decision that Shriner's is a good way to go right now. The confusion, distrust and lack of communication between our "team" has made things nothing short of difficult. I was thrilled about the prospect of a TheraTogs suit but the physiatrist isn't sure. He thinks the therapists need to challenge Korbin more (which I totally agree on that one) and he was wondering why we ended up with SMO's instead of AFO's (SMO's are shorter braces that only go to about the ankle while AFO's go higher up the calf). When I explained to him that we had discussed AFO's but he wanted to wait and see what the orthopedic surgeon wanted and the ortho surgeon wanted SMO's. Lack of communication is infuriating!
Korbin is doing really well though. He is wanting to walk so badly. He is pushing his push toy everywhere as well as appearing like he wants to take some independent steps. I think at this point, he would probably do wonderfully in a walker but no one seems to want to do that except the physiatrist. The therapists keep telling me that they want him to have more stability so he won't fall. He has become much more stable over the last month or so so that shouldn't really be an issue. They are also concerned about his hyperextension but again, that's not a huge issue when he's standing either. They tell me they don't want him falling. Well, my problem with that is even typically developing kids fall. And they get up and do it again. Kids fall. It is what it is. I hate to keep pushing the therapists about walking and a walker. I worry (although I probably shouldn't) that they are going to think that I am wanting him to have a walker instead of giving him time to see if he will be able to walk without it. My question is at what point are we going to say a walker will improve the quality of his life? He is wanting to get down when we are out and about but many times it's not possible with him crawling. On top of that, the therapists won't give me any indication of whether they think he will even be able to walk at first without a walker. The physiatrist thinks he will need a walker to begin with (again, I agree with him on this one). I get that the therapists may want him walking on his own at first but if he doesn't start practicing, how is he ever going to learn?
We should be finding out soon when our Shriners appointment will be. I am really trying not to get my hopes too high about the visit because I tend to get disappointed when no one has a crystal ball or magic wand.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment