Who would have ever thought that someone telling you that something about your child is not normal would be such a relief? I never would have. Korbin has had a headbanging issue for months and months now probably closer to a year. Up until now, I have been brushes off by pretty much everyone being told that it is normal for his age. What part of a child banging his head on things to the point that there are knots and bruises is normal? He has also damaged a tooth during one of his "fits". Still, it was "normal". I decided to talk to the OT again the other day about it. Of course she has never seen him do it so she must not have realized he was still doing it although he has a constant bruise on his forehead. For the first time someone told me that no, it is no longer normal. FINALLY!!!! We will be seeing the neurologist in a couple weeks so we will talk to her about it (that was the OT's suggestion). She said that it could be a number of different things. Pressure in his head, eyes or ears (which have both recently been checked and were fine) or sensory seeking. According to the OT that latter would be the worst of the 3. I assume that is because it can't just be fixed like the other things could be. So we will talk to the neurologist soon. We already had an appointment to re-establish ourselves since our current neurologist is closing her practice and we have only seen the other neuro once. It really was a relief that someone is finally listening!
We are also counting down the days until our visit to Shriners. We will see what Shriners has to say in late March. I am really hoping I am not disappointed by the visit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i have a friend at church who just last week had her son diagnosed based on this behavior. i never got the name for it specifically, but it has to do with a lack of feeling and a desire to feel anything. (sensory seeking)... and was in the autism family somewhere. even though it was a blow to them, they now know what it is and are able to help him. which is a huge step from where he was before! i know how frustrating it is to know your child, and not have anyone listen to you!
i hope they figure out what is going on with your little one, and it's an easy fix to get him "normal".. or, as normal as any of us can be. :)
Hey girl, yes I am just getting around to reading your blog, I am so sorry....
Never heard of that behavior, really, so I have nothing... ugh... I hope you can find out whats going on... I know its hard to know that somethings wrong, and wait until the day you go see someone to tell you something.Have you googled it by the way??? Praying for Korbin, and you, momma!!
Shriners appt soon!! :) YYAYYYYY
Post a Comment