Sunday, April 19, 2009

Happy Birthday Korbin!

I am a little late with the birthday wish but Korbin turned 1 on April 17. He is doing great! He is finally back up to his pre-flu weight and is 18 lbs. It has been a very long year that has gone by quickly if that makes any sense at all.

The last week has been an emotional one for me. With his birthday coming and going, I couldn't help but to constantly think about the events of his birth. Of course many tears were shed. Also, we saw the neurologist for the first time in over 6 months. As expected, she made it official that Korbin has Cerebral Palsy. That was very hard. Even though we knew it was coming and I had been preparing for it for months, it didn't really take the sting out of it. I know that this doesn't change who he is and he is the same happy boy that he was before she made the announcement but it is still hard. Basically this just means we will continue to do his therapy and just keep an eye on his development.

As for his development, he is doing okay. He is officially delayed now but is so determined to be mobile. He is able to get anywhere he needs to and has learned how to pull himself up to standing. The neurologist was shocked by this since he still can not sit unassisted. Of course the way he gets to his feet isn't the right way or even the easiest way but he does it. He only uses his arms so he is developing some serious upper body strength. He should be using his legs and "stepping" into a standing position but this seems to work for him. Unfortunately he hyperextends his legs when he stands (it looks like he locks his knees) but again, we will just deal with that.

So, over the next short period of time we are yet again going to be busy. We are waiting for the appt. to be set for Korbin to see an orthopedic Dr. to get x-rays and to figure out what kind of braces to put on his feet. We were hoping to wait on the braces but his right foot has started to get worse instead of better and now his left foot is starting to turn and have issues too. Also, he will have his eye surgery this week on April 23. I am dreading the actual surgery and recovery but I am hoping that maybe this will help his balance a little bit but I am trying not to get my hopes up.

I will update again after surgery and share how everything goes.

Sabrina

No comments: