Friday, June 20, 2008

9 Weeks old

Korbin's due date came and went this week. Looking at him and knowing that he was technically just supposed to be born and that he is instead 2 months old puts things in perspective. Korbin had his evaluation with our states early intervention program last week. This program is designed to notice any developmental delays early so we can work on them early before the child is put too far behind. Because of his prematurity, they judge him by his adjusted age which is a newborn right now. As expected, he tested as a newborn in most areas and a 1 month old in others. He is not considered delayed since adjusted he is just now a newborn. He still qualified however due to his condition. We will be having someone come in once a week to work with him and if later on down the line it looks as though he needs physical therapy or even speech therapy, they will bring someone in to help. I believe this program will be very helpful.

Next week, we will be visiting the local neurologist. I will then decide if I would like to continue going to New Orleans to see the Dr. there or just stay here locally. I am also hoping that I will have a better understanding of everything after visiting her. We will also be having another visit to the pediatrician next week. He wants to check Korbin's head size, weight and evaluate his eating before we try and plan a vacation. I had spoken with the Dr. the other day and he asked me about Korbin's intake. When I told him the amount he was taking, he told me that depending on his weight gain when he sees him next, and if he hasn't increased his feeds, he may want to do another scan of his head. He was okay with the weight gain on the last visit but it was on the low end of normal. We also may need to change the mixture of his formula to increase calories. I will find out next week what the Dr. wants to do.

I also asked the Dr. when I spoke with him if there will be a point any time soon where we won't have to worry so much about the pressure increasing in his head and a shunt being required. He told be that things could change next week or in 6 months or never. I guess the waiting game never really ends.

Sabrina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad things seem okay for the moment.I saw some pics forwarded via moms and Korbin is adorable. I can't believe how big Mikey and Alayna are!(Alayna looks just like you)Keep hanging in there!Thanx again for the updates.Still praying for all of you. Keri