My visit this morning didn't last too long. When I got there I was informed that he had just calmed down after screaming for an hour. He seems to have learned that when he is woken up it is time to eat. This morning they were not able to feed him. He had some residual in his tummy and his belly was full but they are attributing this to him not using the bathroom these past three days that he has been eating. Instead of removing the residual, they replaced it and gave him some Glycerin to try and "get things moving". If he is able to digest what is left, they will be bumping his amount up to 10 CC"S.
As his feeds increase, the need for the IV fluid will decrease. Since yesterday's attempt to insert a PICC was yet again unsuccessful, they have just put in another IV. The nurse this morning told me that if they are able to continue bumping up his feeds, they may not even make another attempt at inserting a PICC. When he is able to handle enough food, the IV fluids will stop. I was also told that when he is able to handle more of his feedings and higher amounts, they will then begin to try to see how he will do with a bottle. I am assuming that this will not happen until there is no longer a need for IV fluids. After he is able to take the majority, if not all, of his feeds by bottle, they will move to the next step of allowing him to hold his own temperature.
There doesn't seem to be that many steps left in what is the long process of getting him ready to come home but it does seem that each step will take so long. I am aware that some steps may take longer than others but some days it just feels like there are mountains left to climb and reaching the top is a feat that I am not capable of accomplishing. I know that looking back on the past 12 days there were obstacle that even the Dr's did not think were possible to overcome but the road ahead just seems so long. I am just ready for the day that I am able to say my Little Warrior is home where he belongs.
Sabrina
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment