I am a little late posting on this but there is good news. We had our neurosurgeon visit last week along with Korbin's 9 month check up. After a very long day in New Orleans filled with timing issues and the problems that often accompany dealing with multiple departments, Korbin had a CT done and we finally got to sit down with the NS. We were told that there is still no need for a shunt (YAY!!!) and that we would not have to return for 6 whole months! That gave me the impression that he is confident that Korbin is doing well. We will have another MRI done in 6 months and that will likely be the last one for a very long time depending on the results. We did confirm that Korbin indeed has Dandy-Walker Varient but a very mild case which could go without notice. DWV is the best case scenario of the DW diagnosises. That was very good news!
The next day we had his 9 month check up and everything looked great. His iron was fine and everything else looked good. He did have an ear infection that we were unaware of but some antibiotics will fix that right up. He weighed 16lbs 14.5 oz and was 26 inches long. He is finally on the charts for his actual age. The Dr. and I did have a conversation about cerebral palsy. Korbin is now at an age where we can really see how he is developing. He has hit all of his milestones although some have been a bit late even for his adjusted age but he has hit them none the less. He is still not sitting unassissted and is on the verge of being late for that which will likely in turn make him late accomplishing other major feats such as pulling up and eventually walking. All of the Dr.s and therapist assure me that they have no doubt that he will walk (which has been one of my major fears all along) even if it is a little late. He may also require a little assisstance such as a brace or something since he has some muscle issues in his feet and toes. Although it will likely be the neurologist that officially hands us the diagnosis on a silver platter, the pediatrician has all but assured me that he does have cerebral palsy. I have had to really push for someone to give me the information straight instead of dancing around the reality. I know that they have been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but I am really ready to just finally have it said so I can proceed to deal with it mentally. I want nothing more than for him to be completely healthy and unaffected but I know that something is not completely right and it is a really tough mental game with everyone beating around the bush. I guess until it is official official I will always harbor a little bit of hope in the back of my mind that maybe, just maybe everything will be perfectly fine.
I know that it shouldn't make a difference one way or the other since it really won't change anything but it really just comes to a point that you want to go ahead and hear it so you can go through the grieving process. He is doing really well so that plays a huge part in my not being too terribly devistated at this point. He is a very happy and easy going baby with a spitfire temper. He is "crawling" everywhere and is doing well with his eye patches and his splints on his hands. Hopefully we won't have to do the splints for too long though. He is truely a blessing.
Everything is really going well overall. We haven't had any major setbacks for quite awhile. He has come so far. I would like to take the opportunity to mention that I have decided to get involved with my local chapter of March of Dimes. I will be participating in the March for Babies in May. March of Dimes played a big part in Korbin's NICU success. Medical science has come so far and the only way for it to advance farther is research and that research must be funded. Also, March of Dimes provides support for families in the NICU by trying to make things just a little bit easier during what is a very difficult time for families. The March of Dimes ultimate goal is to see a time where EVERY baby is born healthy. If you would like to sponsor us in our March for Babies, please click on the button on this page and it will take you to my page where you can donate. If you are not able to donate money, please contact your local chapter to offer services. This has become very important to me. Honestly, I knew about MOD but never really gave it much thought until my little boy almost died and would have died if it weren't for the good lord above and the knowledge achieved through research that MOD supports.
Thanks again and I appreciate anything that you can do.
Sabrina
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment