Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Almost 5 months, Surgery planned for next month

5 months ago next week Mr. Korbin came into our lives as a gift from God. All children are a gift but God showed me that day to not take advantage of these precious gifts as they could easily be taken away.

A lot has come to pass since my last post. First, in case I didn't mention, Korbin passed his EEG. We finally got his genetics screening back and it was great as well. He had his 4 month check up and was 10 lbs 14 0zs. We also had our first neurological diagnosis of Ankle Clonus. Ankle Clonus makes his leg and foot "beat" like Thumper (for lack of a better description).

His occupational therapy is going well. We haven't started physical therapy yet. We have noticed that he struggle with his right arm and that his right foot is very tight. The neurologist and the neurosurgeon (who we saw today) both agree with me that his legs are tight as well but the OT and the pediatrician disagree.

Originally, we were planning to do the MRI in December but as of today that has changed. Our visit with the neurosurgeon confirmed my suspicions that there has been increased pressure in Korbin's head. We have scheduled surgery for next month to put a shunt in his head. Because it is not seriously urgent, we are able to wait until next month and give him time to grow.

We will be going back to New Orleans in approximately 2 weeks for an MRI (he will be sedated for this) and to see their Neurologist since ours here is out for awhile. We are seeing the neurologist because of a suspected seizure that happened earlier this week. The MRI will be used to get a better look and will be used to possibly confirm the pending diagnosis of Dandy-Walker. We will also return to New Orleans the week before the surgery for the pre-op.

I go back and forth from being terrified and and being okay with it all. We fully anticipated this result today. I had already packed a bag in case I needed to stay. Even though I had prepared myself for this, a little part of me had hoped that I was overreacting. Unfortunately that was not the case.

So, I may post again after the MRI but I will likely wait until after the surgery. Please keep my baby and my family in your prayers.

Sabrina

2 comments:

Seann said...

We will lift you and your family up in prayer! In all you do seek His face, be depentent on His strength, He will get you through.

Romans 8:28-30

Keep pressing!

Traelee said...

Brea, I'm still thinking of Korbin and your family.
I pray that his surgery goes well and you all find the strength to get through the ups and downs together.
Take care.